WHAT IS OUR FOCUS IN THIS MESSAGE?
WE SHALL BE FOCUSING ON A VERY IMPORTANT BUT OFTEN NEGLECTED EXPECTATIONS
AND WHAT IS THIS?
THE POWER OF APPRECIATION
AND WHEN SHOULD YOU APPRECIATE PEOPLE?
WE NEED TO APPRECIATE PEOPLE WHEN WE STILL HAVE THEM
HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS?
RELAX, READ OR LISTEN AND MAKE THE BEST USE OF THE USEFUL TIPS CONTAINED IN THIS MODULE
William James, a well-known psychologist, and philosopher said, “The deepest principle of human nature is a craving to be appreciated.” If we are honest with ourselves, we all want and need to feel valued for who we are and recognized for our contributions and accomplishments. It is important for us to know that we have made a difference in someone’s life.
If a person takes the time to express their heartfelt appreciation for something we have done, it boosts our spirit, passion, and purpose.
It builds our self-confidence, self-esteem and our entire self-image. It gives us energy and motivation to work harder and do more.
It is on this note that I shall be examining the:
SIX BENEFITS OF SHOWING APPRECIATION
1. When you give people a sincere compliment, words of encouragement or just a warm smile, you are making their world a better place. You are making them feel appreciated and valuable.
2. When you express your approval or gratitude for something they have done, you will not only enhance their lives, but you will enrich yours as well. You will feel more fulfilled because you have done something to make someone else’s life better.
3. One of the laws of the universe states that what you give is what you get in return. It costs little or nothing and it almost always follows suit that they will demonstrate their gratitude for what you do.
4. When you show any interest in others by noticing the good things they have done; they will be drawn to you like a magnet. It will accelerate the relationship-building process and enhance their overall impression of you.
5. It will increase your value to the market. When you show your appreciation to others, their respect for you will grow and so will your influence as a leader. In today’s world, people have choices. They absolutely prefer to work with people they like and trust and who show an interest in them.
6. It is a free form of currency. People will do more for recognition than they will for money. If you are in a leadership position, remember that people will work harder and do more if they know they will be recognized for their accomplishments. Show them you care and they will be loyal to you, even if better opportunities come their way.
Having considered the six benefits of showing your appreciation, let us now examined six tips you can explore to show appreciation.
1. Be genuine about your praise and do not expect anything in return for being nice.
2. Be very specific with your words and use the person’s name whenever possible. This makes it more meaningful. For example, “Samuel, thank you for making us feel so welcome when we were with you yesterday. It really contributed a great deal to our well-being
3. Demonstrating eye contact and positive body language goes hand in hand with the words you choose.
4. Think of special ways to show your gratitude. For instance, you can buy a small gift item or do something special for your spouse, friends and loved ones that you know he or she would appreciate. You do not have to spend a lot of money for the thank-you to have value.
5. Send a handwritten thank you card or note of appreciation. To me, I appreciate a specially designed or handwritten appreciation than pre-made special thank you card. Most people do not take the time to do this simple act.
6. If the praise or appreciation relates to a specific act or circumstance, give it as soon after the event as possible to have the most impact.
I want to challenge you to make your expression of appreciation stand out from the crowd. Make sure it is genuine and something that will make an impression. It will require more effort on your part but it will be worth it.
While going the extra mile is admirable, do not forget the simple little things we can do on a daily basis to let people know they are appreciated. For example, the handwritten thank you note you write, is probably more than sending 30 emails on the same issue. For every gift you buy for your wife, children, parent, friends, and well-wishers, it is more than saying thank you 50 times.
To execute your Appreciation Plans, make a list of those people who regularly do things for you, including, your co-workers, friends, family members and those who work under your leadership. When this list is complete, go back over each name and determine how you can express your appreciation for the things they do for you in a way that makes them feel noticed and valued.
Let me also encourage you to thank 100% of the people for 100% of the things they do to make your life better, even if it is part of their job description or you feel it is their responsibility to you. No matter who these people are, everyone deserves to be thanked.
Begin to adopt an attitude of gratitude today as I leave you with a quote from Robert Cavett that say!
Finally, one thing we must all understand is that “Three billion people on the face of the earth go to bed hungry every night, but four billion people go to bed every night hungry for a simple word of encouragement and recognition.”